How do I...?
...get a library card?
…get a library card?
You can apply for a library card in person at any Cheltenham branch or MCLINC library. You can also apply for a card online.
- Persons ages 14 and older may apply for a card themselves. Persons under 14 need a parent or guardian’s signature on the application.
- Valid photo identification showing the name and current address is required. Current school identification may be used for high school students under the age of 18 (card will be mailed).
- This service is available to Cheltenham Township residents only.
- Download and complete a library card application.
- Email the completed application to us here. Applicants must provide an e-mail address and accept the statement of responsibility.
- An e-mail will be sent within 3 days with your library card barcode number and the actual card will be mailed to you. If we are unable to verify your address through the mail, the in-person procedure must be followed.
- To borrow items from our branches, the card must be activated. Follow the in-person registration instructions and visit any Cheltenham branch.
...get a replacement library card?
If you have lost or damaged your card, visit any Cheltenham branch with your photo ID to obtain a new card. There is a replacement charge of $2.
...access my library account online?
If you already have a password for your library account, you can go here to log in and access it.
If you haven’t already set up a password for your library account, you can go here to create a password.
If you forget or don’t know the password for your library account, you can go here to retrieve it. Alternatively, you can stop in at any Cheltenham or MCLINC library with your library card and change your password in-person.
...request library materials?
You can request an item from home via the online catalog or in-person at any Cheltenham or MCLINC branch.
Request via online catalog:
- Visit the online catalog. Search for the item you’d like to request. When you find the item, click on the “Place Request” button.
- If you are not logged into your library account, you will prompted to log in.
- Choose the library where you want to pick the item up and the activation date. When you’ve done that, click “Submit Request”.
...renew library materials?
Items can be renewed from home through your library account online, over the phone or in-person at any Cheltenham branch or MCLINC library. Please note that your library card number will be required to access account information/renew materials over the phone.
Renewing from home:
- Log into your library account.
- In the “My Account” panel click on “Items Out”.
- Items checked out to you will be displayed. The number of renewals available for each item is displayed under “Renewals Left”.
- Mark the box under the column, next to the item(s) you want to renew and then click the “Renew Selected Items” button at the bottom of the items list. Alternatively, you can click the “Renew All Items” button at the bottom of your items list to renew all eligible items.
...download eBooks and digital audiobooks?
You can view instructions to download eBooks and digital audiobooks here.
...download digital magazines?
Instructions for downloading digital magazines can be found here.
...suggest materials to add to the library's collection?
You can suggest materials to add to the Library’s collection by printing this form, filling it out and returning it to any Cheltenham branch.
...file a complaint about an item in the library's collection?
Cheltenham Residents can request an item be permanently removed from the Library’s collection by printing this form, filling it out and returning it to any Cheltenham branch.
...check out a museum pass?
Museum passes may be checked out only by Cheltenham Township residents.
Museum passes cannot be renewed.
It is recommended that you call your local Cheltenham branch to confirm the availability of museum passes before visiting the Library to check them out. When you call ahead about a museum pass we are able to reserve the pass for you for 1 HOUR.
A list of the museum passes available at the Library can be viewed here.
*Please note that the loan period for a museum pass is 3 days*
...get a job at the library?
When the library is hiring, full job descriptions and downloadable applications will be posted here.
...volunteer at the library?
You can begin the volunteer process by printing this form, filling it out and returning it to the Cheltenham Library branch at which you would like to volunteer. You may be contacted when the library is in need of volunteers.
Adult volunteers at Cheltenham Libraries are required to obtain criminal background checks and FBI and PA Child Abuse clearances. If you are contacted to become a volunteer you will receive further information about background checks at that time.
...become a member of the Friends of the Library?
The Friends are non-profit volunteer groups that provide financial and community support for each of Cheltenham’s branches. Each branch has its own Friends organization with its own membership application available at that branch.
Regularly scheduled meetings of each Friends board are open to the public. Information about these meetings can be found on each branch page along with contact information.
Money raised from numerous activities sponsored by the Friends groups help meet specific library needs including acquisition of new books, movies and music, funding children’s and adult programs and contributing to the Cheltenham Township fund for library building projects.
...pay fines & fees with a credit card?
Check back for more information soon.
...donate to the Library?
Many ways to give to Cheltenham Township Library System
Community support helps keep your Library doors open and a wide range of programs and activities available. Your gifts of time, money and materials help ensure a sustainable future for this community Library system and are especially important during these challenging financial times for public libraries. Gifts of all sizes are deeply appreciated. How can you help?
Your generous gifts are always appreciated and allow us to continue to offer the services you love.
You can donate securely via PayPal using the button below or you can fill out this form and bring or mail your donation to any Cheltenham branch library.
Give your time
Have fun while helping your community! Become a member of the CTLS team by volunteering at your Library.
You can begin the volunteer process by printing this form, filling it out and returning it to the Cheltenham branch at which you would like to volunteer. You may be contacted when the Library is in need of volunteers.
Adult volunteers at Cheltenham Libraries are required to obtain criminal background checks and FBI and PA Child Abuse clearances. If you are contacted to become a volunteer you will receive further information about background checks at that time. There is no cost to you.
Our Friend of Library groups sell gently used materials to raise funds in support of our libraries. Call your local branch to inquire about their needs and to arrange a drop-off or pick-up.
East Cheltenham: 215-379-2077
Elkins Park: 215-635-5000
La Mott: 215-635 4419
...book a meeting room?
The Community Rooms at the Elkins Park branch and the Glenside branch may be reserved by filling out an application for use at the library branch. Before filling out an application, please review our Meeting Room Policies to learn who can book a meeting room, when meeting rooms are available, fees associated with booking a meeting room and other important information.
...file an Open Records request?
Contact information for the Open Records Officer
Cheltenham Township Library System
215 S. Keswick Ave.
Glenside, PA 19038
Send an email
Contact information for the PA Office of Open Records
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Office of Open Records
Commonwealth Keystone Building
400 North Street, 4th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17120-0225
...check out materials without my library card?
If you have forgotten your library card, you may check out materials with valid photo identification such as your student ID or driver’s license.
...enable someone else to pick up library materials held for me?
Because of Pennsylvania’s library confidentiality law and our computer system, holds may only be checked out on the card that was used to place the hold. If you would like someone else to pick up your held materials, they must have your library card with them to complete the transaction.